US Green Waiver Form to Become Electronic

US to drop green visa waiver form next year

By TTM on 21 June 2008 in News

Brits and nationals from 27 other countries that have signed up to the US waiver programme travelling to the Us currently need to fill in a green visa waiver form. This is handed out be cabin crew on the airplane during the flight. Part of this form is given in on arrival into the Us and the other part is retained by airport security staff on departure from the US. Should a traveller find they are still in possesion of this form when they get home, they should post it to the US authorities with an accompanying letter proving they have left the US.

All of this is to change next year. From January 12 2009, the green form is being replaced by an eletronic system, which will require travellers to fill in a form before they fly.

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) forms are available online at Travellers who do not fill in the forms will be barred from boarding an aircraft or vessel bound for the US.

The form requires similar information to that currently requested by the green form: details of criminal records, communicable diseases, history of visa revocation or deportation and personal details such as name, birth date and passport number.

The US authorities say the new system is simpler: Once filled in, the data is kept on record for two years, so subsequent visits within that time do not require more online form filling.

It is also intended also tighten security: "Getting this information in advance enables our front-line personnel to determine whether a visa-free traveler presents a threat before boarding an aircraft or arriving on our shores," said Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

Those travellers without internet access should ask their travel agent to fill in the form under their instruction, according to the US Homeland Security.


alan payne,

i have at present a,non-immigrant-visa,in my passport,i usually complete a ,white-i95-landing-card,when i enter the,usa,i have noticed on my last visit,the immigration officer stamped a date,which was six months after my arrival date,does this mean,having a non-immigrant-visa,i can stay for,six months,not the,90-days as per green waiver form.

7 March, 2009

Allison Siddorn, Toronto, Canada

I hold a UK passport but live in Toronto and travel to the USA a few times a year but I drive over the border so will I be able to complete this electronic form or still have to fill in the Green Waiver?

Your article only mentions air travel and I wondered if you would have information on land travel.

Hope you can help, thanks so much


22 January, 2009

Add Your Comment

Please note: all comments will be manually verified by our staff before appearing on the site. Please do not try and spam and do not use offending language. If you want to be notified when your post has been published, add your email address below.

Required Fields


News Archives

Facebook  Twitter  Google +  Instagram  Foursquare