A panel of cruising experts, put together by Cruise Critic, has highlighted the best ocean, river and luxury cruise lines across dozens of categories.
The best new ship award went to MSC Cruises and best value for money went to Marella Cruises.
Some managed to retain their 2016 accolades – Celebrity Cruises, kept its awards for “Best Cabins” and “Best Shore Excursions”. While sister company, Royal Caribbean, held onto two of its titles – for “Best Entertainment” and “Best Suites”.
Cruise Critic’s UK Managing Editor, Adam Coulter said:
These awards combine our editors’ impartial cruise expertise, based on first-hand experiences and industry knowledge, to ultimately help travellers select the best cruise choice for them, from the myriad of amazing options now available.
Best on the Ocean
The award for “Best New Ship” on the ocean went to MSC Cruises’ 4,475-passenger MSC Meraviglia, which debuted in June. It was commended for innovations such as introducing Cirque du Soleil at sea, and the exclusive suite-class Yacht Club. MSC Cruises also won the “Best for Families” award for the first time ever.
Marella Cruises, whose fares include all tips and service charges, as well as alcohol drinks on some of its ships, was awarded “Best Value for Money”. Celestyal Cruises won a new award for 2017 – the “Best for Service” award.
The best fo solo travellers award went to Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines who also won the coveted “Best Itineraries” award.
River’s Crème da le Crème
Retaining its 2016 titles for “Best River Cruise Line” and “Best for Luxury”, Uniworld’s Boutique River Cruise Collection brought the atmosphere of opulent hotels to the rivers. Uniworld also took the new 2017 award for “Best for Service”.
Avalon secured the “Best Cabins” accolade for installing window-facing beds with memory foam mattress toppers and a choice of pillows. It additionally took the “Best for Active Travellers” award.
In the luxury awards, Seabourn held onto the title for ‘Best Luxury Cruise Line’. Judges were especially bowled over by Seabourn Encore, with its sumptuous, yacht-like feel and finest boutique hotel ambience. Seabourn also, once again, secured the “Best Enrichment” award.
The “Best Dining” award went to Crystal for its imaginative menus and quality range of restaurant offerings. The line also secured the “Best for Service” and “Best for Solo Travellers” awards, as well as the “Best Ship Refurbishment” accolade for Crystal Symphony.
Viking Ocean Cruises was once again handed awards for “Best Value for Money” and “Best Spa”.
Links to cruise lines
- Celebrity Cruises
- Celestyal Cruises
- Crystal Cruises
- Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines
- Marella (formerly Thomson) Cruises
- MSC Cruises
- Royal Caribbean
- Viking Ocean Cruises
Full list of who won what
- Best New Ship: MSC Meraviglia
- Best Ship Refurbishment: Cunard – Queen Victoria
- Best for Adventure: Hurtigruten
- Best Cabins: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Dining: Holland America
- Best Entertainment: Royal Caribbean
- Best for Families: MSC Cruises
- Best Itineraries: Fred. Olsen Cruise Line
- Best Nightlife: Norwegian Cruise Line
- Best for Romance: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Service: Celestyal Cruises
- Best Shore Excursions: Celebrity Cruises
- Best for Solo Travellers: Fred. Olsen Cruise Line
- Best Suites: Royal Caribbean
- Best Value for Money: Marella (formerly Thomson) Cruises
- Best UK Departure Port: Southampton
- Best UK & British Isles Port of Call: Guernsey
- Best River Cruise Line: Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection
- Best New River Ship: Crystal Cruises – Crystal Bach
- Best for Active Cruisers: Avalon Waterways
- Best for Adventure: Pandaw River Cruises
- Best Cabins: Avalon Waterways
- Best Dining: AmaWaterways
- Best Enrichment: Viking River Cruises
- Best for Families: Tauck
- Best Itineraries: Viking River Cruises
- Best for Luxury: Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection
- Best Service: Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection
- Best Shore Excursions: Tauck
- Best for Solo Travelers: Pandaw River Cruises
- Best Value for Money: Amadeus River Cruises
- Best Luxury Cruise Line: Seabourn
- Best New Luxury Ship: Silversea – Silver Muse
- Best Ship Refurbishment: Crystal Symphony
- Best for Adventure: Silversea
- Best Cabins: Regent Seven Seas Cruises
- Best Dining: Crystal
- Best Enrichment: Seabourn
- Best Itineraries: Silversea
- Best for Romance: Windstar
- Best Service: Crystal
- Best Shore Excursions: Azamara Club Cruises
- Best for Solo Travelers: Crystal
- Best Spa: Viking Ocean Cruises
- Best Value for Money: Viking Ocean Cruises