Gibraltar, a British territory, is a little bit of Britain on the Med with year-round sunny days. Yet, amazingly it has been more or less ignored by holidaymakers in favour of Spain next door.
That’s all changing now that this tiny country aka The Rock has made its debut on the UK green list from the inception of the traffic light system effectively catapulting Gibraltar into the touristic limelight.
Its status on the green list means that those that have been double jabbed don’t need to have a PCR test to enter and there is no need to quarantine when back in Blighty.
Indeed Vijay Daryanani MP, Miniter of Tourism for Gibraltar is encouraging and said:
Gibraltar is like home. English is spoken, pound sterling is the currency. You don’t have to change your money, there is no commission on bank cards and it’s the same as if you are paying back home. Plus shopping is VAT free.
So if you are tempted make sure you get the paperwork right.
Here is what you need before you go
Note: Be ready to show all your documentation at the airport, there and on the return journey:
- You will need proof of your vaccination status – you must be fully vaccinated
- You must complete a Passenger Locator Form before you travel. Keep an eye on accuracy. You can find this on the Gibraltar Government website.
- From there you will be directed to a link to book a FREE test on arrival at the airport in Gibraltar. You will need proof of this.
If all your paperwork is approved at the airport check-in you will be given a slip of paper with the words “Good to Travel” to show at the gate. On arrival at the airport.
At the airport, you will be given a FREE Covid-19 test. It is quick and easy and you get results within the hour by text and email. You are free to head to your hotel in the meantime.
For the journey back to the UK you must:
- Complete another Passenger Locator Form. This can be done at the UK Government website
- Pre-book your Day 2 Covid test. When you do this you will get a reference number which must be included on the Passenger Locator Form.
- Undergo another Covid-19 test 72 hours before travel. This costs £30 and is administered at the airport. You get the results within the hour by text or email. You will receive a certificate this time which you will need to show at the airport.
TIP: Though you can show all these on your smartphone, print everything in case you need a Plan B i.e. phone runs out of charge or you come up against internet failure.
Read more about Gibraltar