Wrapping your hands around a comforting mug of hot chocolate in the evening is a lovely feeling, but adding your favourite tipple is a game-changer.
Ahead of National Chocolate Day (Monday 13th December), The Bottle Club has shared three of their favourite boozy hot chocolate recipes to help satisfy that sweet tooth.
Spiked Nutella Hot Chocolate
Many of us have a special place in our hearts for gooey Nutella, spreading it on our toast in the morning or covering delicious strawberries with it. But have you ever thought of mixing it with vodka?
If you have a sweet tooth, this hot chocolate is a dessert in itself and certainly isn’t light on the calories, but we all deserve a treat every once in a while.
The guilty secret to this oozy drink is Tiptree Salted Caramel Vodka, as the saltiness perfectly complements the rich chocolate, nutty flavour. How else are we supposed to get through winter?
Ingredients: 1 serving
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- 1 cup milk
- 60 ml Tiptree salted caramel vodka
- Whipped cream, optional
- Chocolate sauce, optional
- Simmer some milk till warm
- Add in Nutella
- Stir in the vodka
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate sauce
- Pour into a large mug and enjoy!
Note: A 70cl bottle of Salted Caramel Vodka for £35.99.
Boozy Coconut Rum Chocolate
You will get a taste of the Caribbean by adding coconutty rum flavours.
Whilst rum flavours can vary from, banana, pineapple, spiced, coconut, and vanilla, there is something about the light coconut taste which just works well with rich chocolate and whipped cream. For your boozy tipple, Mahiki Coconut Rum Liqueur is a smooth, fresh coconut flavour with a sweet finish.
Ingredients: 2 servings
- 4 cups of coconut milk
- 32 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 32 g granulated sugar
- 64 g semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 110 ml Mahiki Coconut Rum Liqueur
- Whipped cream
- Toasted coconut
- Warm the milk, cocoa powder and sugar over medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Whisk constantly until simmering (but not boiling).
- Add chocolate chips and whisk until the chocolate chips melt and fully incorporate.
- Whisk in vanilla extract and pour into mugs. Add Mahiki Coconut Rum Liqueur
- Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut and chocolate syrup, if desired. Serve immediately.
Note: 70cl bottle of Mahiki Coconut Rum costs £13.29.
Midnight Mint Hot Chocolate
This boozy mint hot chocolate recipe is the perfect nightcap on a cold evening, made with dark chocolate, double cream and a touch of mint liqueur; it may keep you up past midnight, but perfect for those who love a mint choc-chip flavour.
Its main boozy ingredient here is Créme de Menthe, a classic ingredient in many cocktails. Its sweet minty flavour is accompanied perfectly by rich dark chocolate to create a sumptuous blend.
Ingredients – 1 serving:
- 50ml double cream
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- A few drops of peppermint extract
- 150ml whole milk
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- 25ml crème de menthe
- Dark chocolate curls or sprinkles
- Whip the cream in a small bowl then stir in the icing sugar and a few peppermint extract drops. Place in the fridge until needed.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat gently until simmering, stirring frequently. Take off the heat then add the chocolate.
- Stir until the chocolate has completely melted and the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Return to the heat until warm then add the crème de menthe.
- Pour into a glass mug, to help keep warm and top with a dollop of the whipped mint cream and chocolate curls or sprinkles.
Note: a 70cl bottle of Creme de menthe for £10.89
These recipes supplied by The Bottle Club.