German, with almost 100 million people worldwide, is the most widely spoken native language in the European Union. The German language is the official (or co-official) language in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, South Tyrol (Italy) and Liechtenstein.
A basic knowledge of German will give you access to fascinating and welcoming countries in the heart of Europe. You will be able to explore some of the best architecture museums in the world, watch some of the best European films and discover the world’s best city to live – Vienna!
Having a look at our list of useful phrases in German for the perfect starting point to prepare your trip!
- Guten Morgen/Mittag/Abend/Nacht = Good morning/afternoon/evening/night
- Tschüss/Auf Wiedersehen = Goodbye (informal)/Goodbye (formal)
- Können Sie mir bitte helfen? = Could you help me please?
- Nein, danke. = No, thank you.
- Ja, bitte. = Yes, please.
- Wo ist die nächste Toilette? = Where is the closest restroom?
- Entschuldigung = Excuse Me
- Welches Bier würdest du empfehlen? = Which beer do you recommend?
- Kann ich eine Brezel zu meiner Wurst haben? = Can I have a pretzel with my sausage?
- Wo kann ich den besten techno Club der Stadt finden? = Where can I find the best techno club in this city?
- Ist das der richtige Weg zum Bahnhof? = Is that the right way to go to the station?
- Kannst du das bitte wiederholen? = Could you repeat that please?
- Es tut mir leid = I am sorry
- Bis bald! = See you soon!
Bonus Phrase: Guten Tag = say hello in a formal way.
Top Tip: Germany is known for Oktoberfest and its incredible beers but do you know that they also produce some fantastic wine in the west of Germany along the river Rhine? You should try it on your next trip whilst exploring Germany.